Januševec Castle

Januševec Castle

Januševec Castle
Prigorje Brdovečko, Brdovec
The Januševec castle represents the greatest achievement of Classicist architecture in Croatia. It is presumed to have been designed by Bartolomej Felbinger, one of the best known architects in 19th century Zagreb. It is a zero (highest) category monument. It was built around 1830 for Baron Josip Vrkljan (Werklein). In 1845, the castle was purchased by French Count Edgar de Corberon, after which time it changed ownership several times: Count Dümreicher, Max Mayer, and Manfred Sternberg between the two World Wars. The castle underwent restoration from 1947 to 1989, and today houses a part of the Croatian State Archives.