Lipovec Old Town

Lipovec Old Town

Mali Lipovec, Samobor

Situated at the peak of a cylindrical hill, just west of Samobor and near the Šoić house and Oštrc peak. In 1251, Ivan, son of Jaroslav of Okić was granted permission from King Bela IV to construct the Lipovac castrum. Later, it was purchased by the Babonić princes, and in 1349 it came under the possession of Nikola Seč, right up until Martin Frankopan. It was constructed on solid rock over a tall cliff, hindering any approach by attackers. The Lipovec Old Town was likely abandoned in the 17th century, as it was no longer suitable for residence, and was no longer needed for defence.