Lukavec Castle

Lukavec Castle

Lukavec, Velika Gorica

First mention in 1256 as ‘caput Lukavez’, though the precise year and place of construction are not known. The castle was again constructed between 1474–1479 in defence from the Turks, and later changed owners many times. The walled city we see today was erected in the 18th century. The layout was designed as a square castle with internal courtyard, with a series of arcades and four prismatic towers at the corners. A tall tower rises above the main portal, which bears the coat of arms of the Noble Municipality of Turopolje. Under the tower stood the Chapel of St. Lucy and 70 firing holes.