Žumberak Old Town

Žumberak Old Town

Stands on an elevation (altitude 501 m) above the two tributaries of the Kupčina River. Access is possible via the Žumberak mountain roads. The Old Town was first mentioned under the name “Sichelberg” in the list of papal tithes from 1296. The town changed owners several times until the time of the Turkish invasions and the settlement of the dispersed population in the 16th century, when the Old Town was deserted and the New Town was built. Novi Grad Žumberački (Žumberak New Town) was erected in defence from the Turkish attacks, and was also the seat of the captains of the revolt. In the 18th century, the New Town was ravaged by a fire, and all that remains today are the ruins, most of which are covered by earth.